Children's Music Ministry
Meets: Wednesdays • 7:00 - 8:00 PM • Educational Bldg
Email: Becky Riffee
The Children’s Music Ministry program at Crossroads strives to enrich children’s lives in three core areas: spiritual formation and growth, musical skills and personal growth. The
Children's Choir occassionally sings during the morning worship services throughout the year. To enroll your child(ren) in Choir, please complete the online registration form.
Children’s Music Ministry Objectives
The Children’s Music Ministry at Crossroads Baptist Church strives to enrich children’s lives in three core areas.
Spiritual Formation and Growth
- Children will grow in their knowledge of scripture, and the great stories of the Bible, as they experience the love of God through music.
- Children will develop the ability to participate actively and intelligently in worship and to find satisfaction in worship experiences.
- Children will have the opportunity to model “the body of Christ” as they combine and share their musical talents and abilities in the form of a choir.
- Children will learn the following musical skills as appropriate to each child’s age and developmental stage:
- Good singing habits and vocal technique
- Body movement to a steady beat
- Read, play and create rhythm patterns
- Understand musical terms
- Play musical instruments such as wood blocks, sticks, drums, and xylophones.
- Move expressively and respond creatively to music
- Understand the role of music in the context of worship
- Children will improve social skills as they interact with other children and adults in the choir setting.
- Children will learn to use their talents and skills in ways that help others.
- Children will expand their creative ability and grow in their faith using God’s gift of music and singing!
& HELPER BIOS...
What the kids call me: Miss Becky
Personal: I have had a blast this summer with my friends traveling to Estes Park, CO; Dallas, TX; and all over KS.
I grew up: In the Ft. Worth/Dallas area of Texas and moved to Wichita, KS after graduating from high school.
Attended College: I received both my bachelors and masters in Music Education from Wichita State University in 1998 and 2001 respectively.
When I am not directing Children's Choir: I teach high school choirs, ensembles, music theory, and music education courses at Campus High School in Haysville, KS. I am in my nineteenth year of teaching and my twelfth year at Campus. I also direct the adult choir here at Crossroads Baptist.
Hobbies and Interests: I love to travel, hike, and ride my bike! I have been to Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, and numerous states here in the U.S. I especially like to hike trails in the mountains of Colorado and Washington State, and of course the prairies of Kansas!
I am excited about being a children's choir director because: Children's choirs are near and dear to my heart because that is where I got my start in music. I have many fond memories of singing under my mother's direction of a small children's choir in Texas. I grew up playing with musical instruments, singing Kodaly, and enjoying being a part of music programs like Down By the Creek Bank. My heart's desire is to instill the same kind of fond memories and love of music I had as a child in the lives of children today.
What the kids call me: Mrs. Betty
Personal: The joy of my life is serving my Lord, loving my husband and children, and spoiling my grandson.
I grew up: I was born in Burnet, TX located in the beautiful Hill Country of South-Central Texas, but actually grew up in Ft. Worth, TX where my father pastored Fairpark Baptist Church for fifty years.
Attended College: I received my Bachelors in Music degree from Texas Wesleyan College in Ft. Worth in 1967. I also attended University of Texas at Arlington, TX, Texas Christian University in Ft. Worth, and did Masters level work in music at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, TX.
When I am not helping with the Children's Choir: I retired from teaching in 2014 after forty-eight years in the classroom (I started out kid! LOL). Twenty-seven of those years were at the collegiate level (Arlington Baptist College) and twenty-one years were invested in third graders at Sunrise Christian Academy here in Wichita, KS. Now that I am officially retired, I invest my life in the music department of Crossroads Baptist Church here in Wichita.
Hobbies and Interests: My family, my church, and music are the loves of my life. I enjoy being a pastor's wife, playing piano, organ, and electronic keyboard at church, and singing in the choir.
I am excited about helping with Children's Choir because: Children's choirs have long been near and dear to my heart. I have always wanted to pass on to children my love of music in hopes that they would find the joy and comfort it has been to me throughout my life.
NOTE THAT SOME FIELDS ARE REQUIRED FIELDS. The form cannot be submitted unless all required fields are filled in. All required fields are marked with an ASTERISK (*).
Examples of required fields are: 1st Child's Full Name, Grade in School, Date of Birth, Parent/Guardian Name, Parent/Guardian Mailing Address, Emergency Contact, Emergency Contact Number, and Photography Release.
Especially note that the Country field in the Mailing Address must be filled in before the form will submit - an unfortunate database design flaw - sorry. Just type in USA.